Stability test aim to assess the ability of a product to maintain the desired physical, chemical and microbiological properties, as well as its functionality and sensory properties, from the time the product is manufactured until it is used by the consumer under appropriate conditions. It should be considered as a requirement to ensure the quality of a product, to estimate and confirm shelf life and, in addition, to ensure customer safety.
And the fact is that, the stability of a product is defined as the ability of the product to resist change or variation of its initial properties over time, under established or reasonably foreseeable conditions of storage and use.
Each product has certain original characteristics, depending on the type of product and its intended use. In general, the original characteristics and/or properties that the product must maintain are:
- Physical: organoleptic characteristics such as appearance, colour, odour, non-phase separation, viscosity, etc.
- Chemical: pH, chemical structure, percentage of ingredients, etc.
- Microbiological: maintenance of suitable and safe conditions for use.
- Packaging: integrity of packaging, colour changes, etc.
There are different methodologies for exposing a product to exaggerated conditions, so that the stability of the product under appropriate storage conditions can be evaluated in a shorter time.
Types of stability test:
- Preliminary – Screening: These are carried out on the formula, without taking into account the final packaging, and are normally carried out on inert glass.
- Accelerated stability: These are carried out on the final product, in its final packaging, subjecting it to controlled temperature and humidity. The aim is to accelerate the external stress conditions (temperature and RH) and thus predict a shelf life.
- Long-term stability: This is carried out on the final product, in its final packaging, subjecting it to controlled temperature and humidity. It is carried out in parallel to the accelerated stability, only that it maintains long-term stability by repeating the analyses and checking the predictive data of the accelerated stability.
All of them aim to assess the stability of the product considering storage, transport, and use.
If you are interested in making the stability test of your products, ask us without obligation.